I'm author and editor Holly M. Kothe. Thanks for stopping by my writing and review blog.
Literature is as addictive to me as a hot hazelnut latte, so grab a mug and have a look around.



Friday, July 19, 2013


I Want To Read (and write)
 
Everything

(but who has the time?)

 

     Certainly not this girl—infamous for constantly waking up for work with minimalist get-ready time. I can't remember when I last wore makeup to work, or brushed my hair… Honestly, I’m the kind of gal who doesn’t get too worked up about scaring co-workers with her unsightly appearance. I’d love to be one of those early risers: get up, put on some coffee, some Melody Gardot, recite soothing new-age affirmations, read, WRITE. But no. NO. I’m in the bad habit of staying up late while my energy is low and productivity non-existent, and sleeping in until the last possible second. I’ll work on it.

 

If you are one of the three to five people who follow this blog, you might have noticed I haven’t updated in a while. I also haven’t been writing fiction for a while. The only good thing about this is that I’ve been filling up free writing time with finishing my bachelor’s degree…YAY. I’m not too far from being done, and when I’m done, I’ll be well-versed in the ways of English and fiction writing-an astoundingly practical choice I’m sure, tons of lucrative job opportunities on the horizon. In all seriousness, I just can't fathom putting so much effort and focus into a degree unless it was for something I absolutely loved…and I love me some literature (surprisingly, my school of choice did not offer degrees in coffee OR espresso).

 

Even though I’ve not been writing much, I have been submitting here and there. Still plenty of rejected works to be re-submitted until someone out there catches on to my creative brilliance. The most recent acceptance was for one of my favorite shorts, “The Poe Toaster”. I worked on this one for a long time. I wanted to paint a picture of a young, newly divorced bohemian type--a woman trying to clean up her mess. I also wanteD to paint a picture of Cincinnati, and some of my favorite spots in the city. It was accepted and very recently posted by an awesomely entertaining literary magazine:
 
Vlad Studio
 
 
I’m so proud to see “The Poe Toaster” out and about…and I'm grateful for the opportunity to work with talented editor Zachary Levi Wall to get the story into publication shape. Go check it out and leave a comment on the site! WOOOOOOO!

 

To conclude, here’s a list of the quadrillion books I’m reading simultaneously…

 

The Sound and The Fury
 

Maybe should have went with something a little less jarring for my first William Faulkner experience…but I’m glad I’m reading this. If you want to challenge yourself with poignant prose, complex characters, a style that makes you reconsider your understanding of the English language, and an entire section by a narrator who has no grasp of abstract concepts such as time, cause or effect …well, Faulkner is for you.  

 

I'm also reading another William--+The Bard, that is. I'm reading these four because I have to read them for my Shakespeare class…and I’m super Shakespeare-geek-psyched that I have to:

 
Titus Andronicus


A Midsummer Night’s Dream
 

Richard III


Antony and Cleopatra
 

 

More on these later. I will say one thing: plays only reach half of their potential when read alone in your room silently…I’ve had to start reciting lines aloud in different character voices while pacing around my apartment just to get through some of it. But The Bard continues to hold my affection as brilliant and beautiful wordsmith.

2 comments:

  1. Oh, how I am going to enjoy following your blog! I am definitely looking forward to more. I find school takes my time from writing/reading as well. One more class to my associates! Very excited over here :p

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Amanda, thanks you for commenting and for FOLLOWING! I appreciate every bit of followers I can get. Congrats on getting to your associates!!! I have a year or so more of school, school, school, but hopefully I'll get the collection published along the way. Thanks for taking the time to visit!

      Delete

Blog Archive