I'm author and editor Holly M. Kothe. Thanks for stopping by my writing and review blog.
Literature is as addictive to me as a hot hazelnut latte, so grab a mug and have a look around.



Sunday, July 8, 2012

My Favorite Eating-Disordered Novels


Aside from my short story works, I am an aspiring YA novelist. My favorites are the realistic, artistic, honestly sadistic dramas that are written with the idea that teens are readers, too, and they deserve literature that doesn’t talk down to them.

I’ve written one novel, The Urge. It is about a girl who chooses to live with her father over her mother after their divorce, while trying to hide her rapidly increasing OCD. The manuscript never made it to print, and rightfully so, ha! I submitted everywhere, got a little bite on it, but ultimately it is now stored away in a cabinet along with some old VHS tapes. That manuscript is incredibly valuable in that It gave me a lot of experience in how a novel is written, how queries are written (and rejected), and how a large part of writing is a dedication game. You need the talent, but you really REALLY need the passion and the work ethic and the willingness to put writing over other things, such as sleep or socializing with friends or sometimes basic time-consuming hygiene.  In other words, you have to be willing to put the work in, like all great things.

I’m keenly interested in the psychology of the mind, especially at the young and exciting age of self-discovery and exploration. I have an obsession with books whose characters are dealing with eating disorders. Much because these are issues I myself have experienced, but also because battling our inner-turmoil in general fascinates me (not just the food issues). I think we all have our demons, and overcoming them on top of the ordinary, every-day chaos makes up much of our existence.
I debate whether or not I want to write a character dealing with an eating disorder. I go back and forth on it. But listed below are some amazing authors who have taken this on in a dark, poetic, zero bullshit way:

Wintergirls by Laurie Halse Anderson
Love Sick by Jake Coburn


Purge by Sarah Darer Littman
Skinny by Ibi Kaslik


Nothing by Robin Friedman

 I know there are boatloads more out there. These are just a few that I've read and enjoyed.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive